A Polish SME active in manufacturing of articles for building engineering, in cooperation with technical university, has developed a new kind of double-pistons internal combustion engine.
The idea is based on backward coaxial running of two pistons in common working space, where one piston works conventionally in two-stroke cycle and another in four-stroke cycle.
During the engine work it is possible to change the cylinder’s working volume characteristic and the compression, dependent on used kind of fuel and operational requirements. This feature enables combustion of different fuels: gaseous, petrol-mixed and also bio-fuels. The engine can work as spark or self-acting. It takes advantage of all hitherto achievements in internal combustion engines. In this solution effect of prolonged gas expansion is achieved, which provides decrease of exhaust gas temperature and increase of air-standard efficiency enabling fuel savings. It has influence on reduction of noxious combustion products amount and increase of engine’s power.
The engine can be applied in many sectors where are presently combustion engines used: machine-building industry, transport, refrigeration, heating, machines, devices and processes in electrical power engineering. Very interesting application is possible in huge working machines or ships. While having high power the engine can work long time consuming little fuel. Usage of the engine provides savings at production of electric energy at level of about 30%.
- Combination of advantages of two-stroke engines and four-stroke engines in one engine
- Possibility of changing the cylinder’s working volume characteristic during work
- The pistons are moved with different frequencies with appropriate stage displacement
- Possibility of combustion of different fuels
- Automatic selection of compression level in relation to a/m conditions
- Savings of about 30% of fuel
- Effect of prolonged gas expansion decreasing amount of noxious combustion products amount
- High engine power from little cubic capacity
- High partial efficiency
- Possibility of combustion of different fuels: gaseous, petrol-mixed and also bio-fuels
- Electronic steering system for compression ratio values, power demand and fuel quality
- System of high injection pressure applied
- Quiet work with low vibration frequency
- Very simple structure