The system is based on the use of micro-magnets of neodymium and ferrite with a high capacity of attraction and a minimum size (3-5 mm. diameters, 1-2 mm. high). The micro-magnets are stuck onto the reproduced detachable piece and the front of the area of the work where the lost part was located. The magnetic power of attraction keeps both parts together. The reproduced detachable pieces can be added to the art work without weakening its structure and can be also removed or changed with others with no problem. This allows the making of different detachable pieces and the use of the most convenient for the specific use of the work of art. Its utility relies on the next aspects:
1. It avoids the use of other conventional restoration systems of joint like glues, wooden or metallic sticks, screws and others that weaken and interfere with the structure of the art work.
2. It is non-damaging, stable and permanent.
3. It is reversible.
4. It admits detachable pieces with different external finishes.
5. It has a low cost and easy use.
6. It can be employed on a wide variety of art works.
7. It is respectful with the integrity of the work of art.
It is an original system in the conservation-restoration field. It differs from the conventional ones in that it does not affect to the integrity of the work as it doesn’t need either physical or mechanical reinforcements or the use of glues. The conventional systems employed until now do not allow the change of the reproduced parts in an easy and immediate way. On the other hand, with this new system the reproduced pieces can be changed and removed without any risk for the art work.
Museums, art galleries, cultural centre and in general any institution related to the Cultural Heritage have to face many times the restoration and reinstatement of artistic works with lost parts. This system is efficient and cheap and in comparison to the ones used to the present time it implies an improvement in many aspects:
- Less time work and use costs as well as more stability for the art work.
- It also has the advantage of getting reproduced detachable pieces with different outer finishes; imitative-realistic, neutral, semi-realistic, and change or combine them depending on the location and the significance that want to express the work.